U.S. Department of Transportation
Office of Public Affairs
1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20590
Monday, May 24, 2010
Contact: Candice Tolliver
Tel: (202) 366.9999 or (202) 306.4580
FMCSA Announces New Motor Carrier Safety Advisory Committee Members
WASHINGTON, DC - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrator Anne Ferro today announced the addition of eight new members to the agency's Motor Carrier Safety Advisory Committee (MCSAC).
Established by Congress in 2006, the MCSAC is charged with providing information, advice and recommendations to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on motor carrier safety programs and regulations.
"Safety is our highest priority," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "Our Motor Carrier Safety Advisory Committee is dedicated to making sure the operators of big commercial trucks and buses and those who share the roads with them are safe. These new additions help broaden committee membership and ensure balance from the motor carrier industry, safety advocacy, law enforcement and labor communities."
"From ideas and concepts concerning truck drivers' hours-of-service to raising the safety bar for new carriers entering the industry, the members of the MCSAC make an invaluable contribution to the safety mission of our agency," said FMCSA Administrator Anne S. Ferro. "We welcome our new MCSAC members and look forward to working with the committee to explore new ways to strengthen commercial vehicle safety."
The eight new MCSAC members will begin their two-year terms on June 8, 2010. The new members are:
- Kevin O'Brien, Director of Motor Carrier and Driver Safety Services, New York Department of Motor Vehicles
- LaMont Byrd, Director of Health and Safety Department, International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- Norman Dofflemyer, Commercial Motor Vehicle Division Commander, Maryland Department of State Police
- Thomas Jacques, Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement Officer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Bureau of Police
- John Lannen, Executive Director, Truck Safety Coalition
- Jane Mathis, Board Member, Parents Against Tired Truckers
- Peter Pantuso, President and CEO, American Bus Association
- Danny Schnautz, Professional Truck Driver, Clark Freight Lines, Inc.
To obtain a complete summary of all MCSAC members and for details on upcoming MCSAC public meetings, visit http://mcsac.fmcsa.dot.gov.
# # #