Only the States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and the Virgin Islands are eligible to receive Basic MCSAP grants; only the fifty States and the District of Columbia receive Incentive grants; the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and the Virgin Islands do not receive Incentive grants.
Under the Basic and Incentive grant programs, a State lead MCSAP agency, as designated by its Governor, is eligible to apply for Basic and Incentive grant funding by submitting a commercial vehicle safety plan (CVSP), in accordance with the provisions of 49 CFR 350.201 and 350.205.
Prior to the start of each fiscal year, FMCSA calculates the amount of Basic and Incentive Funding each State is expected to receive. This information is provided to the States and is made available on the Agency's website.
In accordance with 49 CFR 350.323, the Basic grant funds will be distributed proportionally to each State's lead MCSAP agency using the following four, equally weighted (25 percent) factors:
- 1997 road miles (all highways) as defined by the FMCSA;
- All vehicle miles traveled (VMT) as defined by the FMCSA;
- Population — annual census estimates as issued by the U.S. Census Bureau; and
- Special fuel consumption (net after reciprocity adjustment) as defined by the FMCSA.
A State lead MCSAP agency, with the exceptions noted, may qualify for Incentive Funds if it can demonstrate that its CMV safety program has shown improvement in any or all of the following five categories:
- Reduction in the number of large truck-involved fatal accidents;
- Reduction in the rate of large-truck-involved fatal accidents or maintenance of a large- truck-involved fatal accident rate that is among the lowest 10 percent of such rates for MCSAP recipients and is not higher than the rate most recently achieved;
- Upload of CMV accident reports in accordance with current FMCSA policy guidelines;
- Verification of Commercial Driver's Licenses during all roadside inspections; and
- Upload of CMV inspection data in accordance with current FMCSA policy guidelines.
Incentive funds will be distributed in accordance with 49 CFR 350.327(b).